Sunday, June 3, 2007

Monday, June 4 - Steve Kahn

It was so nice spending the weekend with my family. My sister and brothers live about four hours from me, and I just don't get to see them often enough. Someone's work schedule often gets in the way...but this weekend we were all together. And we had a wonderful time. Most of their children and grandchildren were there, so we had quite a gathering.

And I printed out the puzzle at my sister's, and I have the laptop. All's right with the world.

Including Steve Kahn's Monday puzzle, full of R and R (37A: Break, briefly...or a hint to this puzzle's theme).

The theme answers are:

17A: Company that clears clogged drains (Roto Rooter)

58A: Friendly tournament format (Round Robin)

11D: Silver Cloud of autodom (Rolls Royce)

27D: Classic kids' show (Romper Room)

I was excited by the clue for 1A: "Madness" month (March). Nice to see the blog name in the puzzle!

Some entertaining, cleverly-clued fill:

20A: "Faster!" (step on it). "Red means stop, green means go, yellow means go like hell." Who can name the movie and the actor who said it?

33A: Adjective follower (noun).

50A: The Godfather's voice, e.g. (rasp). The Godfather was another movie we watched in World's Greatest Films. I never intentionally watch violent movies...I had to close my eyes a few times.

6D: One who knows "the way" (Taoist). Without asking for directions.

7D: Unlikely dog for a canine registry (mutt). As far as I'm concerned, they're the best kind. And one of the best cartoon mutts makes an appearance at 26D: "Garfield" canine (Odie).

12D: Bea Arthur sitcom (Maude). I loved that show. The sarcasm, the wit. She was my kind of woman.

31D: Exhortation at a pub (bottom's up). Love it, although I don't think I've ever said it.

37D: "Lovely __, meter maid" (Beatles lyric) (Rita). Definitely a Monday clue. Any other day it wouldn't have been so detailed. One of my favorite sing-along songs on the treadmill.

45D: Like pumpkins and traffic cones (orange). Does this remind you of anyone we know?

Several words that show up from time to time. It's good to remember them.


6A: Crime-fighter Eliot Ness, notably (Tman)

42A: Fancy tie (ascot)

43A: French political divisions (etats)


Okay, so I didn't do so well not blogging. When you're addicted, you're addicted. What can I say?


See you tomorrow night.

Linda G

2 comments:

DONALD said...

"Red means stop, green means go, yellow means go like hell."

Jeff Bridges "Starman" -- "I watched you very carefully. Red light stop, green light go, yellow light go very fast."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088172/quotes

The family probably got a kick out of the crossword concerns -- glad they helped!

Have a great day!

Linda G said...

Well, I guess my daughter and I have been misquoting Starman for years! We started that when she was learning to drive -- not that she really did that!