Thursday, May 22, 2008

Friday, May 23 - Patrick John Duggan

We went to see "The Wizard of Oz" at our local dinner theater and didn't get home until after 10:30. I have a 7:30 meeting tomorrow...poor planning on my part...so I'll have to make this short.

I managed to work through most of Patrick John Duggan's Friday puzzle. Several good guesses panned out, which led to other good guesses. I ended up Googling for two answers...35A: Literally, "art of softness" (Ju-Jitsu) and 51A: Philosopher who coined the phrase "the best of all possible worlds" (Leibniz). The cross at 52D: Man-to-man alternative (zone) doesn't make any sense to me, though.

Good guesses that panned out include 7A: Dr. Seuss story setting (Whoville), 17A: Fop in "The Wind in the Willows (Mr. Toad), 40A: Popular teen hangout, once (soda shop), 46A: Fifth state to ratify the Constitution: Abbr. (Conn.)...it's not just The Nutmeg State, 54A: 1989 film set in an inner-city high school (Lean on Me), 58A: Like some airport purchases (duty free), 1D: It was shipwrecked in 1964 somewhere in the South Pacific (S.S. Minnow), 9D: Constellation with the star Betelgeuse (Orion), 21D: Doctor often seen on writers' bookshelves (Roget), and 35D: Title girl in a 1958 hit by the Playmates (Jo-Ann)...I believe they also did Beep-Beep, the song about the little Nash Rambler.

The best of the best...16A: Parting words (au revoir), 20A: One of a French literary trio (Porthos), 25A: Like a wet blanket (no fun), 31A: "If you shoot at mimes, should you use a silencer?," e.g. (one liner), 8D: "Quiet!" (hush up), and 38D: Popular boxing venue (UPS Store).

I don't watch violent movies and/or television shows, but I liked the similar clues at 2D: Crime family name (Corleone) and 37D: Crime family (Sopranos). One of the pictures I found had a bunch of dead bodies with the cast of "The Sopranos"...were those supposed to be people they had killed during the season?

It's getting close to 11:30...and time to hit the sack. [UPDATE Friday morning: I was just reminded by JimH via his blog...this is another debut by a young constructor. Eighteen-year-old Patrick John Duggan has a real gift for constructing. How many debut puzzles are Friday quality? I'm looking forward to more from this talented young man...and I'm certain we'll see it.]

Here's the grid...



...and I'll see you tomorrow.

Linda G

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Linda,
Man-to-man alternative (zone) doesn't make any sense to me, though

The term relates to defensive coverage as in football or basketball. Instead of a player covering "man-to-man" or one-on-one, the player covers a "zone" or area on the field.
Norman

Anonymous said...

Linda G. Perhaps today, I can help you - "man to man" defense is an alternative to a "zone" defense, as in Football.

David G (from blackberry)

Linda G said...

Once again, I show how very little I know about football ; )

Thanks, Norman and David.