Monday, April 14, 2008

Tuesday, April 15 - Ken Bessette

Ken Bessette gets bonus points for this puzzle. Not just a cleverly executed theme...but the letter Z appears twice in one word. 26A: Victoria Falls river (Zambezi). That's even better than Zamboni.

The theme is revealed at 40A: Kind of exam, with a hint to the answers to the four starred clues (midterm). Each of the theme answers has term hidden in the middle of it.

17A: *Myopic cartoon fellow (Mister Magoo).

65A: *Popular tune around Halloween (Monster Mash).

11D: *Plan hatcher (mastermind).

30D: *Some ticket issuers (metermaids)...I'd have clued it [Like lovely Rita and others].

Tonight was quilting group, so I got a very late start on this. I have a 7:30 meeting tomorrow morning, so that means this will be a Q & D.

Favorite answers include 1A: Like a cold fish (aloof), 47A: Former Disney chief Michael (Eisner), pictured at left...with the same clue at 12D: for Michael Ovitz, 49A: Home of the Scarlet Knights (Rutgers), 53A: Soft, colorful candy (gumdrop), 55A: "__ Flux" (Charlize Theron film) (Aeon), 58A: __ de vie (brandies) (eaux), 34D: Dog from Down Under (dingo), 38D: "Show Boat" composer (Kern),and 53D: Crystal-lined rock (geode).

The very best clue in the puzzle...36A: One way to run (amok).

Here's the grid...



...and I'll see you tomorrow.

Linda G

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Linda...I did not get the connection to the theme until I read your blog...had a problem with skiGear rather than Wear but other wise a nice puzzle

Anonymous said...

I've been trying to leave a comment all day, but Blogger keeps eating it. I'm trying from another computer to see if that will work. This isn't the first time this has happened.

Linda G said...

Anonymous, I've received a couple of emails from others having the same problem. I've been having other problems with Blogger as well...not receiving emails when a comment has been posted. I don't have a clue what's up with that, but it (and now this) frustrates me.

Anonymous said...

Hi there. New to crosswording (but a long-time lover of words). Thanks for your blog - I've been working on the Times puzzles for just a few days now and am grateful to find a "crossword pro" to help provide context, lead the way and such. Grazi!

Linda G said...

I'm definitely not a pro. If you come here often enough, you'll see that I have wrong answers on occasion...corrected by readers. Good thing I don't have a big ego ; )

Keep up the puzzling!