Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Wednesday, February 27 - Lee Glickstein

It was after 9:30 before I even downloaded the puzzle. It seemed like a pretty easy Wednesday...maybe more like a Tuesday or a tougher-than-usual Monday.

The theme was revealed at 36A: Members of this can be found in the centers of 17-, 24-, 51- and 60-Across (nuclear family)...a gimme for me because I had the first of four theme answers:

17A: Make tracks (skedaddle).

24A: Sources of ready cash (pawnbrokers). I've never referred to either of my brothers as bro...is that a guy thing? I dated someone a hundred years ago who called his brother Broman...brother/man. I thought that was kind of cool.

51A: Turkey insert (thermometer). Another gimme.

60A: Got by (on) (subsisted). As was this one.

The only difficult answer for me was 42A: __ lion, beast slain by Hercules in his first labor (Nemean). I may have known it at one time...but that time has long since passed.

Yesterday we had bless, clued as [Cross over?]...today we have 3D: "Gesundheit!" (bless you). Similarly, we had Mt. St. on Saturday, clued as [__ Helens]...today we have 46D: Mt. St. (Helens).

Favorite clue/answer today...59A: I, historically (one AD)...very good.

Other noteworthy clues/answers:

20A: Mead study locale (Samoa). Although it wasn't clued as such, this is a timely answer, since our Girl Scout cookies were delivered today. My favorites are Samoas...but I didn't order any of them.

21A: Chips that one might "muncha buncha" (Fritos). I love Fritos and could never have them in the house.

27A: Cassidy portrayer of TV and film (Boyd).

6D: Time to crow (at dawn). I love that it's almost light when I get up now...and it's still light when I drive home at five. Come on, spring!

10D: Its symbol is X (strike)...had something similar last Saturday.

11D: Harvey of "The Piano" (Keitel). That has to be one of the strangest movies I've ever seen. At least one person out there will think I'm dead on (33D: Absolutely accurate).

Five hours of sleep last night wasn't anywhere near enough, and I can't believe I'm still awake at 10:30. The engagement is off...bittersweet for Elaine, but a huge relief for her parents. Thank you to those who lent support through your comments and emails.

Here's the grid...



...and I'll see you tomorrow.

Linda G

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't remember NEMEAN. I do remember are dark and lighter blue Parakeets named Hopalong and Cassidy.

Anonymous said...

Linda, Glad that things are settled on the home front...family turmoil is always debilitating...I agree today's puzzle was not a typical Wednesday...there were two or three words that were poorly clued, but such is life...I hope that we do not pay for three easy puzzles with three undoable ones!!!

Anonymous said...

I have to say that while the bulk of the puzzle was easy that west middle part tripped me up. I took forever to get (23D) mown and I didn't know Boyd so I had problems. Wound up figuring out (22D) RBI and it opened up.

I hope you got some sleep last night.

MBG said...

This was on the easy side for a Wednesday. Started off with SKEDADDLE jumping immediately to mind and from there it was easy sailing. The only thing I didn't know was the NEMEAN lion, but the crosses took care of it. I must have learned it in high school, but that was so long ago.

I wonder how many of the younger crowd knew how snafu got it's start and what it stands for?

Linda, glad things are better today.

Annielee

Anonymous said...

SNAFU=Situation Normal All F****D
Up I believe that the pharse originated in the Army during WWII

Anonymous said...

Bob, I think the cleaned up version is Situation Normal All Fouled Up. At least that is how my WWII vet father parsed it in mixed company.